I turned twenty one on August 14th. Twenty one is a strange age to turn, not necessarily because you can legally buy alcohol, but because that is considered to be the age of adulthood by a lot, lot, lot of people. It’s the age when nothing is off-limits (well, maybe besides being president and renting a car..), the age where you can do “whatever you want.” And I’ve thought a lot about how my life has been going so far, and so, as a result, this list was both. I separated it into three categories, one for love, one for work, and one for life.
- Nothing sucks more than losing someone that you thought would be around forever, especially if you’ve trusted them with your heart and soul.
- It is okay to turn people down, and it is okay to not have feelings for people, even if they really, really, really like you.
- Being with someone who you have crazy chemistry with can sometimes be crazy destructive as well.
- You will probably get dumped by someone who isn’t even your boyfriend–it’s okay, you just have to shake it off.
- Without dating the really, really, really shitty guys, you would never appreciate the really, really, really great ones. All relationships come in our lives for a reason, whether we realize it or not.
- It’s okay to be sad, it’s okay to be heartbroken, and it’s okay to cry. You don’t have to be strong, and you’re allowed to miss them like hell. But this isn’t the end, and you cannot let it be the end.
- You are not defined by your failed relationships. You should not be ashamed that you once believed in something that made you superbly happy, that you once believed in something that was beautiful. Even if it turned to garbage, at one point it made you the happiest person in the world, and it was a sight to marvel.
Work (and career/school)
- You cannot let anyone stand in the way of your dreams, because in the end you’ll only end up hating yourself.
- Do not compare your journey or path to anyone else’s, life is crazy and full of twists and turns, just because someone seems like they’re ahead, does not mean that they are.
- Do not be afraid to leave your job. Do not stay solely because you are comfortable, you must always be in a position where you are constantly moving forward and growing.
- Do not look at how much you have to go, but rather look at how far that you have gone.
- You are allowed to have many passions and interests, you are allowed to love science and fashion at the same time.
- Sometimes, school will freaking suck.
- Your college years are going to be the years that you remember, so do something that is unforgettable.
- Your biggest critic, will always, always, always be yourself.
- Do not dwell on what has happened, but look at the future, and what could happen.
- Even at the worst of times, there is always a silver lining, whether you can see it or not.
- Let no one make you feel like less of a person, not even yourself.
- Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you cannot do something.
- Don’t be afraid of seeming petty or stupid, always be yourself and speak your mind.
- You are still young–and there are so many places you have to go, people you have to meet, and things you have to do. You are not running our of time. You have your whole life ahead of you.