During undergrad one of my go-to meals was risotto. It’s so easy to make and incredibly delicious. I’ve made tons of varieties–spinach, mushroom, pumpkin, butternut squash… I even attempted one variety with cauliflower rice (by the way, doesn’t work because the cauliflower absorbs nothing). I’d like to think that this recipe is the “grown up” version of that. A graduated risotto (as if risotto isn’t boujie enough).
It is creamy, delicious, packed with spinach (this particular batch had chicken added) and filling. I have been absolutely obsessed with quinoa recently. It is so filling and so good for you!
Also… it’s cheesy.
Whenever I hear a food being described as cheesy I remember Corrine from The Bachelor and her gross cheesy pasta. This isn’t gross.
Also, I have been obsessed with Grey’s and watching Grey’s whilst eating my cheesy quinoa!
You will need
- Half a cup of quinoa (I use red)
- 1 cup of water
- Butter (you can use olive oil if you wanna be healthy but I like butter… #sorrynotsorry)
- Shredded cheese
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Boil 1 cup of water in a saucepan, then add quinoa once boiling. Lower heat and cover. Once quinoa is about 3 minutes until finish, chop and add spinach to the pot.
- Once quinoa and spinach are cooked add butter (I use 3 tbs) to pot and stir. Add 1 tbs of lemon juice and turn off heat. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese till taste, and everything is evenly combined.
I added chicken when I made it this time and it’s delicious with or without! I’ve also used tempeh and tried this recipe with dairy free cheese and vegetable spread and it’s delicious as well! A lot of you are loving the vegan alternatives so I’ll include them for future recipes!
Overall it’s a really tasty dish and by far one of my current favorites! I’ve been really into quinoa recently so expect a few more quinoa recipes in the future!
What is your favorite quinoa recipe?