I posted a few Snapchats the over the weekend and a bunch of you guys asked me for the details behind the makeup look. It’s so simple but somehow my most requested makeup look!
I paired my current favorite: a simple but pretty matte makeup look, with a half french braid fishtail combo. It’s honestly super easy to do, and I would feel guilty if I took credit for it! But I’ll explain it below, after sharing my little matte makeup tutorial.
I had been looking at various small, but simple matte eyeshadow palettes but struggled to find one that fit me well. One of the biggest makeup lessons I had to learn was how to properly identify my coloring and to buy products that suit me. Cool-toned eyeshadow palettes are significantly more flattering on me and there aren’t too many out there! I picked up the Physicians Formula Matte Quad in Canyon Classics. It”s the perfect matte, neutral cool-toned eyeshadow palette.
The palette is pigmented and the shadows are buttery smooth. They blend like a dream and are long-lasting.
The newest addition to my makeup routine is my Velvet Matte Skin Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 30 in Finland, I use it as my main “face makeup” and I use the Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup as concealer. I love the DW and it’s still my 100% all-time favorite but it’s a little “extra” for normal days. I really, really love the Velvet Matte Skin Tint for summer because it’s light but provides really good coverage, and has spf 30! It also makes my face stay matte, and non-oily! (PS, it’s lowkey pricey so I am trying a dupe for it that I will review when I can!)
The last big routine change is my mascara. I use Urban Decay Perversion Mascara and it is so, so good. I thought the Tarte mascara was my holy grail but this mascara is the BEST.
Anyways, here’s how I got the look:
- I moisturize my face with my moisturizer, the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+™ from Clinique. I don’t use primer, I just make sure that my skin is hydrated because I use matte face products.
- I then prime my eyelids with Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, my skin gets really oily and this is so necessary to make sure that my eyeshadow lasts.
- I first apply a combination of the two light colors of the Physicians Formula Matte Quad to my lid, then use the third darkest shade from the quad, blending it into the crease.
- I then apply the Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup as concealer, and then the Velvet Matte Skin Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 30 all over my face with a beauty blender dupe sponge.
- I then do my eyebrows, and fill them in using my Urban Decay Brow Box in Brown Sugar.
- I then highlight under my brow and on the bridge of my nose using Watt’s Up! Cream-to-Powder Highlighter very sparingly. PS, if any of you know dupes, please let me know!
- I then lightly bronze and contour my face using Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer in light. This is my all-time, ride or die favorite bronzer. I’ve talked about this bronzer so many times because it’s the best.
- I then apply my favorite blush, a pretty cool-toned bright pink, Cheek Pop, from Clinique in Berry Pop. Once I switched from warm-toned blushes to cool-toned it totally changed my makeup game.
- I know this is unconventional, but I do mascara and eyeliner last. I line my upper lash line (top and under….NOT TIGHT LINE) very thinly with the Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum in Brown. I love how easy this liner is to use and how pigmented it is. It also makes my lashes grow thicker, longer, and look amazing.
- I then smudge the Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner in Jade, along my lower lash line. NOT the water line.
- I use Urban Decay Perversion Mascara on my eyelashes. I don’t curl my lashes, I just use the mascara.
- Once I’m in the car or out and about, I’ll apply a lip color.
As for my hair, I French braided it along then back and then pulled it to the side for a fishtail. I secured it with a small elastic and it this simple but chic look paired perfectly with the romper I wore that evening!
I find that the messier it gets, the more effortless it looks!
It’s my easy, casual, simple but pretty everyday makeup look that works well for pretty much every occasion!
““Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
-Bernard M. Baruch
What is your usual makeup routine? What products are new favorites, and which ones are older but reliable? ALSO, what is your favorite small matte eyeshadow palette?