Needless to say, a lot has happened since my last blog post. I have been saying that a lot recently with each distanced post that I make… and I think all those sporadic posts before this one were an attempt at me acting like I didn’t need a break.
But I needed a break. I needed time to breathe, to think, to live, and to really spend some time off the radar. It happens, and I’ve learned that although I am a blogger, above all else I am a human being. And sometimes, we just need time.
It has almost been one year since I graduated college and made my infamous post about post-college life. I talked about finding my purpose, finding the perfect job, living in the most magnificent city in the world… and it’s strange how in a year everything can change.
I’ve been fortunate enough to have a job that is really great (if you guys really want I’ll write a blog post about what exactly it is I do) and I think I’m far closer to figuring out exactly what my purpose is than I was a year ago (I know what I want to do, and I’m going to do it!). And even though I left Chicago behind and moved to Dallas, despite the fact that I get homesick I know it was the right choice.
I reconnected with an old friend that I fell out of touch with recently. He was an extremely close friend that I held near and dear, but about six months ago we fell completely out of touch. He was a critical part of my college experience and was there for many memorable experiences. And I sat there, wondering how someone who was so extremely important to me at one point of my life became a complete and utter stranger.
This person, who at one point of my life, was one of the most important people in my life, was a total stranger. I had no idea what he was up to or how he was, and that honestly broke my heart. So with a little optimism and courage, I reached out to him.
And I quickly found out that we were indeed, total strangers again. And then I thought about what else I have fallen out of touch with, and an overwhelming feeling came over me that it was high time to get back to blogging. At one point, this was one of the most important things in my life (it is, but there’s a lot of other important things too), and now I haven’t blogged in forever.
So, I’m back (for real this time) and I’m going to get reacquainted with all of you.
I’m at this point where I just want to learn as much as I can and experience as much as I can. And during my break, I’ve learned all sorts of things that I’m ready to share with you all.
I have learned how to knit, how to bake French pastries, how to code, and all sorts of wonderfully random skills.
Anyways, here’s six new facts about me to kick things off:
- My current favorite thing to do is to knit and watch Scandal. I think Olivia can do better than Fitz and Jake, but when it comes to the two of them I do think Fitz is the better choice. Literally every time I watch Scandal I contemplate working for a crisis management firm.
- I work in nonprofit development and marketing as an Individual Giving and Marketing Coordinator. Besides the obvious, as in individual giving and marketing, I also do work with major gifts. My job entails designing and executing major giving campaigns, cultivating donors, among many other things.
- My current favorite food in the entire world is still cheese fries from Portillo’s in Chicago, but my favorite Dallas food is tacos.
- My favorite thing I’ve baked recently are mini caramel apple cheesecakes (which I will totally do a blog post on if you’re interested).
- I’m currently reading A Wrinkle in Time. I shockingly never read it as a child and feel like now is the perfect time, with the new movie coming out!
- If you ask me tomorrow, I might say someone else, but today my role model is Mindy Kaling.
So, there’s my six facts! I’ll see you guys Monday.
“I’m only marginally qualified to be giving advice at all. My body mass index is certainly not ideal, I frequently use my debit card to buy things that cost less than three dollars because I never have cash on me, and my bedroom is so untidy it looks like vandals ransacked the Anthropologie Sale section. I’m kind of a mess.”
What are six new, fun facts about you? What kind of content are you guys looking forward to on the blog?